Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tea Contest Entry Number Two

I feel like a robot today.  Cook, photograph, post....repeat.  This is my second offering for the Mission: Food Tea Contest.  I call this one....

Matcha Meringue Sandwiches with Dark Chocolate Mint Ganache

The inspiration for this recipe comes from one of my favorite drinks...Moroccan Mint Tea and my favorite guilty pleasure...dark chocolate.  You just cannot go wrong with this combo.


Often people are afraid of Meringues but they are truely easy; you just need to be patient enough to allow sufficient drying time.  The ingredient list is short, the technique simple and the rewards...RICH!  Oh and nothing could be easier than ganache...by gosh!

You will need:

  • 3 large room temperature egg whites
  • 1 cup superfine granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Matcha (Green Tea Powder)
  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 300 degrees. 
  2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until frothy.  Beat in cream of tarter, vanilla and green tea powder until eggs begin to form soft peaks.
  3. Begin beating in sugar 2 tablespoons at a time.  The process of incorporating the sugar should take around 10 minutes.  Continue beating on highest speed until mixture forms stiff peaks and meringue is shiny.
  4. Fit a piping bag with a large star tip and scrape Matcha Meringue into bag.  Pipe meringues onto baking sheet about 1 inch apart.  This amount makes around 20 meringues.  To make bite sized sandwiches, pipe smaller mounds.
  5. Place baking sheet on center rack in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes.  Reduce heat to 200 degrees and bake until meringues are completely dry.  This takes about 2 hours at that temperature.  You can bake shorter and hotter but you must be careful that you don't allow them to brown.  Meringues will lift easily from parchement when they are done.  Cool completely while you prepare Dark Chocolate mint ganache.
You will need:

  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 1/2 cups good quality dark chocolate chips, at least 72 % cacao
  • 1 teaspoon mint extract (or to taste)
  1. In a small saucepan, heat cream until almost boiling.  Place chocolate chips in a medium heat proof bowl.  Pour boiling cream over chocolate; add mint extract and stir until mixture is smooth and all chocolate is melted.  Cover top of ganache with plastic film and refrigerate until cool.
  2. To fill your sandwiches, use a small scoop and place a ball of ganache on the bottom of one meringue.  Sandwich the bottom of a second meringue over chocolate and gently apply pressure to spread out the ganache.  Note: if ganache is too cold it will be difficult to spread without breaking the meringues.  Smooth edges if needed an dust the tops with green tea powder to garnish.
Store in airtight container in fridge.






These are just out of control!


(c)copyright Jill Anderson
The Homegrown Gourmet

10 comments:

  1. They ARE out of control!! What a combination - I would so eat all of them with my tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Jilly, you have been really busy! These are beautiful. I love the way meringues aren't too fatty and are still so delicious.
    By the way, that table and it's lighting are really cute for photography. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Belinda and Stella. I DID have one with my cup of warm matcha Belinda (although im allergic to eggs and paid for my indiscretion by turning beat red from heat to toe!)

    Stella...I actually have an Asian themed dining and living room anyway...with a bit of zebra and leopord print tossed in here and there ;)
    There is a window by that table that gives it the coolest lighting at around 6 pm...a decidedly bluish cast. It also gives me a chance to show off my deep copper colored silk mats and antique shot glasses...LOL Lord knows I need all the help I can get when it comes to photography. I am a rank ameteur at best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jilly, I get so frustrated with photography too. Sometimes I get so many good pictures that I literally can't decide which ones to use and the very next time I take photos, I have nothing. Can't even post due to just not having one single decent picture. I suppose it is an artistic learning process we just all have to go through...
    Oh, and isn't that funny with the lighting? It changes with the seasons, but I've noticed the lighting here in FL can be wonderful in the late afternoon-weird.
    p.s. your dining room sounds awesome. I want to eat in it (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh....meringue sandwiches, looks like these are melt in your mouth goodness indeed!

    Bon appetit!
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chef...they turned out very well I think but its a miracle the chocolate lasted long enough to make the sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so good! I love green tea. They would be the perfect sandwiches. And I love you buddha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to you both. Yes, Rick...I'm quite fond of the Indonesian style Buddha figurines. I have quite a few of them. My mother thinks it a sacralige...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Your recipe won! Please email me your address so I can forward it to Upton Teas :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Wooohooo, yippeeee...I've got comments!

About Me

My photo
Fort Myers, Florida, United States