Wednesday, March 17, 2010

May-yo Vegan Sammich Never Be Dry Again

Just tell me what kind of disturbed mind would spend an entire day researching mayonnaise?  Honestly, sometimes I even scare myself!  The crazy thing is...I don't even LIKE mayo.  In fact, I am dangerously close to hating it.  So why the sudden obsession with mayo?  Well, there are just so many recipes that use it, from salad dressings to chocolate cake.  Now mind you I'd sooner spread the stuff at the bottom of a pond on my sammich as to glop it up with mayo but I DO use it in recipes. 

I'm not a strict, die hard Vegan (anymore) because I do eat some meat and I need intervention for my addictions to Feta Cheese and Fage Yogurt.  But as anyone who reads my blogs knows by now, Im an egg-phobe and except for those two dairy products, pretty much a dairy tee-totaler.  I  must have googled 50 different homemade mayo recipes and couldn't find ANY that didn't have some objectionable ingredient in it. 

Most of the Vegan recipes use (bleeeccchhhh) tofu!  I don't know what it is with me and tofu...I just CANNOT eat or cook with that stuff.  Besides the fact that it tastes vaguely like mold/dirt, has an icky texture (IMHO), I just don't like to eat much soy.  There are too many controversial findings regarding soy consumption.  I just feel like where there's that much smoke there has to be some fire. 

Don't call the guys in the white coats when I say this BUT...I have made TWELVE batches of mayo today in an attempt to get a totally dairy and egg free coconut oil based mayo that has the right texture and taste.  This last batch FINALLY worked.  I know you are probably saying to yourself..."if it's that blasted hard to make...why is she publishing the recipe because nobody is going to make it."  Be of good cheer!  Its really not hard to make at all.  The issue was getting the ingredients and the amounts right.  I'm quite pleased with the final results...ok, well as pleased as I can be over mayonnaise anyway!  Seriously though, even though I don't plan to be slathering up a big ole mayo sammich anytime soon...I'm thrilled at the possibilites for vegan baking and dairy free salad dressings, dips and sauces.

Soy-Free Vegan Coconut Oil Mayonnaise

This is one for which I do NOT suggest Extra virgin Coconut Oil because of it's natural sweetness and the milk coconut flavor.  Expeller Pressed Organic Coconut Oil (buy organic so you don't get denatured, bleached junk) is flavorless but still has the same healthy medium chain triglycerides as virgin coconut oil.

  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 4 Tablespoons non gmo organic corn starch (don't sub a different starch)
Dissolve the corn starch in the cold water and almond milk in a small saucepan.  Set over medium heat and bring to a boil stirring constantly until mixture thickens.  It will be VERY thick goopy!  Whisk in an additional 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk until blended.  Don't worry about any lumps.

Pour this mixture into the blender and add:
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon agave nectar
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
  • a tiny pinch of turmeric (for color...optional)
Blend with the cornstarch mixture until smooth.  With blender on high, gradually drizzle in 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted expeller pressed coconut oil.  The mixture will be somewhat thick and very creamy even while it is still warm.  Scrape mixture out into a jar or glass container with lid.  Cool to room temperature (uncovered so it doesn't sweat), cover and refrigerate.

I don't really know how long it will last in the fridge since this is the first time I've made it but based on the ingredients, I'd estimate 2 weeks.  I may ammend that as I study how the starch reacts as it "cures".  I can't see any of these ingredients going bad in two weeks but only time will tell how well it retains its texture.  I anticipate that it will do just fine because the coconut oil will keep it emulsified but we'll see!


The blending stage.  Wish I had thought about grabbing the camera while I was making the starch base but after 11 failed tries...I didn't have high hopes for this one either...LOL


The mayo is still warm at this point but you can already see that it's thickened and creamy.


Beautiful consistency and surprisingly light texture.


Thick enough to cling to the knife...that's good..and it's not even chilled yet!


I've scraped it out of the blender into a spring lid jar.


This hasn't even been chilled and the texture is really nice!  Almost looks good enough to take a bite...almost!
Hey...are you diggin my Tim-Burtonish nails??  These are my real nails BTW (someone asked before)...I just keep the gel coated and I LOVE goth designs!  These are rather like dead trees no??


Spreads VERY nicely.  I'm proud of myself.  Now I just need someone to tell me how it tastes!  LOL...I actually did break down and force myself to taste it in the interest of science!


(c)copyright Jill Anderson
The Homegrown Gourmet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooohooo, yippeeee...I've got comments!

About Me

My photo
Fort Myers, Florida, United States