Monday, February 8, 2010

Skinny Panna Cotta

Ok, can I just say that I am bursting with pride over my newest creation. Is there anything more fancy and enticing looking than a beautifully presented, delicate panna cotta with a triple berry sauce? The contrast between the white, velvety moulded pudding and the tart, electrically vibrant berries is a thing of wonder. Unfortunately, so is the calorie and fat content. You can FEEL your arteries backing up with every lucious bite!

It is simply not fair. I've been drooling over a particularly appealing picture of a Panna Cotta in one of my gourmet magazines for a couple of weeks now but my brain keeps reminding me that I am minus ten exceedingly stubborn pounds and not anxious to welcome them back! The other day I finally broke down and decided I HAD to try making a healthier version. Oh yes baby...WHO IS THE WOMAN??? It was fabulous (if I do say so myself). Plus, it was easy and that is always a bonus. My husband (who swears that skim milk and fat free yogurt are Kryptonite to his species) ate THREE servings before I broke down and told him. I would have had some pictures to post but he blew through 5 of the six servings so fast (the other one was mine) that I didn't get the oppoturnity to take any photos. Oh well, next time. I will definately be making this again and I think you will too. Enjoy!

* Note: This recipe is NOT vegetarian because I used unflavored gelatine. You can play around with agar agar powder as a gelling agent for a vegetarian version and can replace the dairy products with coconut milk and pureed young coconut meat for a fully vegan version.


Skinny Panna Cotta with Triple Berry Sauce
1 envelope plain unflavored gelatin
1 3/4 cups organic fat free milk, divided
1 cup organic fat free plain yogurt
1/2 cup organic reduced fat sour cream
1 vanilla bean, split or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons organic pure cane brown sugar, packed
6 packets stevia blend natural sweetener ( I use Truvia)
1 1/2 cups frozen, organic triple berry blend, thawed
1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Place 1/4 cup of the skim milk in a small bowl and sprinkle in unflavored gelatin. Do not stir. Allow the gelatin to "bloom" for 10 minutes. Measure 1/2 cup more of the skim milk into a small saucepan. Split the vanilla bean (if using ) and scrape seeds into milk. Measure brown sugar into milk and mix well. Heat mixture until bubbles begin to form around the sides of the pan. Do not boil. Remove from heat and whisk in 4 of the stevia natural sweetener packets. Whisk in bloomed gelatin until completely dissolved. When milk/gelatin mixture has cooled slightly; whisk in yogurt, sour cream and the remaining 1 cup of skim milk. The mixture will be slightly thickened. It is important to STRAIN the mixture to remove any undesolved gelatin and to achieve that beautiful, classic panna cotta texture. Divide strained mixture between six serving dishes. Chill at least four hours before serving.
Note: If you plan to serve in the traditional Panna Cotta style (unmolded), I recomment reducing the amount of skim milk by 1/4 cup for a firmer texture. Because of the lack of butterfat in the finished product, the custard as written above is slightly softer. I served mine in stemmed wine glasses so unmolding wasn't an issue. To unmold; ramekins must be quickly dipped in very hot water to loosen puddings and then inverted on serving plate.
Triple Berry Sauce
In a small bowl; combine thawed berries with 2 packets stevia natural sweetner blend, lime juice and lime zest. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Spoon berry sauce evenly over the 6 puddings.
Nutritional Content per serving: 95 calories, 14g carbohydrates, 6g protein, 1.5g fat, 0g fiber,
76 mg sodium

Update:  I made Panna Cotta again yesterday (Feb 18) so I'd have some pictures to post.  I hid Panna Cotta in the back of fridge till husband went to work so I'd actually have something to take a picture of!





(c) copyright Jill Anderson
The Homegrown Gourmet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooohooo, yippeeee...I've got comments!

About Me

My photo
Fort Myers, Florida, United States