Thursday, November 18, 2010

POM Wonderful Pomegranate Dinner Party


As some of you may have already read in an earlier post, I was selected by POM Wonderful to be one of one hundred hosts of a dinner party featuring POM Wonderful pomegranates.  I have been so excited to finally get everything put together and posted. 

Let me just take a moment before we begin with the photos to tell you that I will post the recipes from dinner party as well as a couple of bonus recipes that came about as a result of the preparations for the party.  However, for the purpose of keeping the dinner party post cohesive, I probably won't post every recipe in this post. 

Next, I'd like to mention that POM Wonderful sent the most incredibly generous party kit!  I received tote bags for each of my guests which contained a coupon for a free 16oz. bottle of POM Wonderful Juice, a set of their chef series recipe cards and a "wonderful inside" bracelet.  In addition to the guest tote bags, they also sent one for me which contained 5 coupons for free pomegranate juice, a really cool cutting mat with step by step directions for opening a pomegranate printed on it AND the cutest apron ever!  Oh and lets not forget the TWO CRATES of fresh pomegranates.  Yes...I did say two entire crates!  I counted 58 pomegranates in all!  Needless to say...we have done our share of picking seeds for the last two weeks!

Here is some of my POM Wonderful loot!


THE best apron ever!


A peek inside one of the pomegranate crates.  Aren't they gorgeous?

Not to toot my own horn BUT...I am probably one of the best people they could have chosen to host a pomegranate party for two very important reasons.

1.  I LOVE pomegranates!  I am fascinated by the beautiful jewel like seeds,
     their tart and sweet taste, the way they burst in your mouth when you eat
     them and lastly, (and this leads us to reason number 2), they are     
     gloriously RED!

2.  I am totally and unapologetically obsessed with the color RED!

My little brain went straight to work taking inventory of all the marvelous red things that I have with which to decorate.  Unbelievably, I even had a set of beaded pomegranate christmas ornaments. 

I decided to create my decorations in two different venues; my dining room table and the patio table by the pool.  For those who don't know, you can still go to the beach during the day here so I was not too worried about an outdoor setting!

All this jabber when what you really want is to see the pictures!  The perfect blend of bling (of which I have plenty) the gorgeous, shiny pomegranates made for an elegant and VERY red theme.  See for yourself...



I began with a clear glass platter filled with a stack of polished pomegranates which I threaded through with strands of glass beads and there are also some battery operated lights hidden between the poms.  The platter was set on an antique lace tablecloth and then wrapped with sparkling red tulle.  Branches of berries were used to create some interest and a perch for my two fabulous red sequinned peacocks. 

To add more glamour, I draped the chadelier with string pearls, added red globe candle holders which I wrapped with silver beads and crystals.  Clear glass crystals were tossed about on the table.  Small antique gold trimmed shot glasses were used as votive cups.







For the outdoor venue, I used my incredible "chandalabra" (tabletop chandalier).  I just added some red crystals, used my cardinals with their feather boa tails, crystal candle sticks, beaded pomegranates and berries, red silk and fresh pomegranates interpersed into the setting.





Here they are...beautiful!  I used some highly polished fresh poms woven in with the boa tail feathers of the cardinals.  It was a stunning table!



We began the evening by sipping refreshing Pomegranate Spitzers until all the guests arrived.  They are made with a lime simple syrup, freshly juiced pomegrante juice and sparkling mineral water.  Garnish with some fresh pomegranate seeds (arils).



The menu for the evening:

Pomegranate Spitzers
Brie en Croute with Pomegranate Molasses
Butternut Squash and Rum Raisin Savory Pastries





This is a simple yet elegant starter made simply by wrapping a wheel of brie in layers of phyllo dough brushed with melted butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until dough is browned and crispy.  Top with a drizzle of warm pomegranate molasses and sprinkle liberally with arils.  I made the pomegranate molasses myself and I will post the pictures and recipe in another post.



The second appetizer is also quite simple and utilizes won ton wrappers to hold a filling comprised of roasted butternut squash puree which has been combined with cream cheese, rum soaked raisins, pomegranate juice, chopped pecans, a tiny pinch of cayenne and topped with grated parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle with some arils for a pop of sweet-tart goodness in every bite.

I have to say, the salad course was my favorite.  This was quite simply...a marvelous salad!

Mixed Baby Greens are topped with walnuts candied in brown sugar and pomegranate molasses.  The nuts are dusted with ground cinnamon while they are still hot.  I made them ahead and stored them in an airtight container in the fridge.  I also added some amazing ultra-white hard, mild goat cheese crumbled atop the salad greens.  Of course, pomegranate arils were added to complete the salad. 

It is dressed simply with a Honey Pomegranate Vinaigrette.  I made the vinaigrette with 1/3 cup freshly juiced pomegrante juice, 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar, 1/4 cup saw palmetto honey, a couple of pinches of kosher salt and about 1/2 cup organic grapeseed oil.  I also added a couple tablespoons of walnut oil for the flavor.  Keep at room temperature until ready to serve.  Dress the salads just before serving.  Store unused dressing in the refrigerator. 




Our main course:

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Pomegrante Gastrique
Candied Sugar Pumpkin Wedges
Browned Butter Haricots Vertes


To make the Pomegranate Gastrique, I brought 1 1/2 cups sherry vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 cup fresh pomegrante juice to a boil.  Boil until mixture is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups liquid and use to baste pork as it roasts.  Bring the gastrique to a boil and serve the extra with the pork.  It's amazing!

The little sugar pumpkins were cleaned, cut into wedges and basted with melted butter.  I then grated fresh nutmeg over them and baked until they were nearly tender.  In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter and add 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses and another 1/4 cup brown sugar to make a syrup.  Toss in a couple of cinnamon sticks.  Bring the syrup to a boil and pour over pumpkin wedges.  Roast until they are tender.  Baste with juices while pumpkins roast.

The haricots verts are lightly steamed and then flash sauteed in browned butter.  They are seasoned very simply with some coarse sea salt.







I also served a drink with each coarse.  For the main course we had Pomegranate Tangerine Iced Tea.  Simply combine 2 quarts of freshly brewed black tea with 3 cups freshly juiced pomegranate juice and the juice of 3 large tangerines.  Sweeten as desired.


This was a totally incredible drink!



Last but by no means least...dessert!  Now everyone knows I never had a dinner party that didn't end with a killer dessert and this one is no exception.

Pears Poached in Pomegranate Juice and a bottle of 2007 St. Supery Moscato have been hollowed out and filled with a Pomegranate Mascarpone Mousse and drizzled with chocolate ganache.  They are topped off with some chilled pomegranate arils and a drizzle of pomegranate simple syrup.  I served it with a cup of Mulled Pomegranate Cider.  This dessert was divine...truely the piece de resistance!





For those who have never tried opening a fresh pomegranate; I have a video tutorial available on my youtube channel.  Drop by and check it out at:

This party was such fun and I'd like to extend my thanks to POM Wonderful for the opportunity to participate!


31 comments:

  1. Real quick comment, Jillyan, but I wanted to say that i LOVE LOVE LOVE that apon!!! That's the best apron ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is amazing! i love your creativity and I also love the apron :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love red and I think your dinner was absolutely gorgeous! I especially like the decorations; so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jilly, I'll toot your horn by saying that I can see why they chose you! If anyone can make something wonderful and special with pomegranate, it's you. And I want one of those spritzers right now. That's beautiful! I bet it tastes wonderful too with that cheese. Yummerz...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful party, each course looks excellent, and I love the decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious dinner perfect for the season

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific dinner party. I love pomegranates too! I made some meatballs with them on top last night

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, I would have loved to have been at your party. Everything looks amazing! Your decorations are so creative and pretty. They sent you great loot, and the apron is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you enjoyed this project as much as I did! My family adores pomegranates and they went gaga over the giant boxes they sent us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful party and that apron is really great. Everything looks and sounds wonderful, but oh man that desert :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi dearie! Love it... love it! Wish we could have teamed up (less stres... more fun)! Looks gorgeous! xoxo
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did an amazing job!! Everything looks so beautiful!! Both the food and the decor!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful party! All of your decorations and food look amazing! Your guests were very lucky to be able to enjoy this feast you put together :)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Jilly, that was some party! Your table setting definitely has pizzazz and your dishes are stunning and creative. Cute apron too! I love the pomegranate tangerine iced tea and the poached pears.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy heaven--look at that! I LOVE the apron and all the gorgeous decor! And the dishes...there just aren't words for how fabulous it all looks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. From the decorations to the menu...wow...what a beautiful dinner! I would have been thrilled to sit down at your table. Everything looked delicious. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are so many things about this post that made me smile: the apron, the peacock feather (LOVE IT), the brie! I recently made a pesto sauce and served it with pomegranate on top of pasta. If you haven't tried it, you definitely should.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the apron, and the decor is fantastic...a perfect evening filled with wonderful food!!

    sweetlife
    happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Jilly, I just wanted to tell you that I miss you being around the blogosphere-a lot actually. Oh, and I hope you guys have a nice and very relaxing new year!
    XOXO,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year! I have missed you! Hope you are back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a party! You really went all out. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures and the story of the event!

    ReplyDelete
  22. In the recent time,when the web is brimmed with online shopping deals, Khaugalideals.com has witnessed its inception with the best Deals in Delhi.While searching for food menus, and restaurant in Delhi,don't forget about Food Voucher, Deals as well as Food Deals because Khaugalideals is your destination for the best deals coupons.Keep on browsing to discover more and more avenues forgreat saving. Get ready to experience thedelight of delicacies with the best food deals in Delhi/NCR,Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Narconon Fresh Start Narconon Fresh Start Program have remarked the program a success as enabling them to live a better pills free life with a better understanding and outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Are you wondering where to get vape supplies online that will make your buy dank online experience like no other? .Simply browse through our catalog and let buydankvapeonline’s Vapes exceed your expectations. At our store, you can buy dank vapes online, buy stiizy carts online, buy kingpens online, buy wholesale carts online, buy brass knuckles online at a click. Simply search by the device type or brand and then add the product that fits the bill to your cart. We will deliver it to you in no time so that you can enjoy your favorite clouds of vapor as soon as possible
    buy vape carts online
    buy dank vapes online
    buy stiizy carts online
    buy kingpens online
    buy wholesale carts online
    buy brass knuckles online
    buy Dank Vapes now
    buy KingPen online now
    where to buy dank vape online
    buy wholesale carts online now
    buy dank online

    ReplyDelete
  25. Are you wondering where to get vape supplies online that will make your buy dank online experience like no other? .Simply browse through our catalog and let buydankvapeonline’s Vapes exceed your expectations. At our store, you can buy dank vapes online, buy stiizy carts online, buy kingpens online, buy wholesale carts online, buy brass knuckles online at a click. Simply search by the device type or brand and then add the product that fits the bill to your cart. We will deliver it to you in no time so that you can enjoy your favorite clouds of vapor as soon as possible
    buy vape carts online
    buy dank vapes online
    buy stiizy carts online
    buy kingpens online
    buy wholesale carts online
    buy brass knuckles online
    buy Dank Vapes now
    buy KingPen online now
    where to buy dank vape online
    buy wholesale carts online now
    buy dank online

    ReplyDelete
  26. NICE POST, where to buy macaw parrrots, english bulldog puppies in Australia

    british-bulldog-puppies-for-sale-in-australia
    english-bulldog-puppies-for-sale-near-me
    purebred-british-bulldog-puppies-for-sale
    cheap-english-bulldog-puppies-for-sale
    english-bulldogs-for-sale
    english-bulldog-for-sale
    british-bulldogs-for-sale
    queen-beee
    sophie
    english-bulldog-puppies-for-sale

    cheap-green-winged-macaws
    cheap-illiger-macaws
    buy-severe-macaws-online
    cheap-hybrid-macaws-online
    cheap-hahns-macaws-online
    buy-blue-headed-macaw
    blue-throat-macaws-online
    hyacinth-macaws-in-queensland-for-sale
    cheap-military-macaws
    blue-and-gold-macaw-in-new-south-wales
    scarlet-macaws-for-sale-new-south-wales

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are a group of growers dedicated to providing you with the best quality of medical marijuana strains and vape carts. For over 4 years we have been helping people buy the very best marijuana strains that are the world’s best weed strains. Our strains are grown both indoors and outdoors and we sell at affordable prices.vapekingz.org for more info text/call me on +14402539737

    King Pen
    weed online
    mario carts online
    vape carts online usa
    supreme carts online
    stiiizy pods online
    TKO Carts online
    Brass Knuckles online
    CEREAL CARTS online
    Exotic Carts online
    Runtz Bud Tin online usa
    Buy Purple Kush online
    Buy Sour Diesel online
    Buy Moon Rocks online
    Buy Blue Dream online Australia
    Buy Cannabis Shatter near me
    Buy Stiiizy Pods
    Buy Space Monkey Meds
    Buy Runtz Bud Tin online Germany
    Buy Smart Bud Tin online Uk

    ReplyDelete

Wooohooo, yippeeee...I've got comments!

About Me

My photo
Fort Myers, Florida, United States