Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Muscle Muffins



Lately everyone is on the protein bandwagon.  I've tasted a few protein bars and muffins and may I just say....YUCK!  Seriously, they don't really expect people to eat that stuff do they?  I don't know...but a little cake of compressed, sweetened sawdust with a couple of flakes of oatmeal and a half dozen chocolate chips does NOT a good snack make...I don't care how much protein is in it!

I spent a couple of days googling protein muffin recipes and I was NOT impressed.  As all serious foodies are apt to do...I read the recipes and I KNOW they either don't work like the recipe says or they work but they taste like crap!  Also...there is too much emphasis on artificial sweeteners and rancid oils.  Nahhhh...I'll pass. 

Maybe I mentioned this before and maybe not but I'm on this campaign to get some muscles (and get rid of some other stuff...).  As an erstwhile vegan and general lazy person when it comes to eating (not cooking for others though), my biggest problem is skipping meals.  I know...those who read my blog on a regular basis are scatching their heads right now saying....HUH??? Most of these tantalizing desserts that you see never cross my lips other than one bite to determine if they are right.  Listen...I'm at that gym 6 days a week shaking my groove thang in Latin Fushion, Zumba and even BELLY DANCING classes, lifting weights and running on that infernal treadmill like a hampster on one of those wretched wheels.  It AIN'T PRETTY!!  Remember the movie, "White Men Can't Jump"??  Let me just tell you, middle aged white women cannot roll their hips like Shakira while simultaneously engaging in a complicated series of hand gestures and foot patterns.  It looks vaguely obscene and I hope to God that I never see myself as a SPOOF on youtube.  BUT...I try!

That being said, I am trying to get more protein into my diet for building lean muscle tissue.  It's not that I was deficient before but I think my carb to lean protein ratio was out of whack.  The result...legs that look like a chicken drumstick...which is indeed...VERY bad Ju Ju.  Plain fat free Greek Yogurt (Fage' is my favorite) is a great source of protein.  I have also mentioned before that I use this awesome vegan protein powder (Life's Basics unsweetened Vanilla) that is wheat free, soy free, dairy free, egg free, gluten free, sugar free, non- gmo and very low carb.  A serving yields a whopping 22g of protein from all vegan sources....brown rice, pea, hemp and chia seed. 

Since I never found an acceptable protein muffin recipe, I set out to create my own.  I've attempted this before with disaterous results by the way.  Protein powders are hard to bake with.  The last time I tried some muffins, they didn't rise at all and my dog sniffed the air and hid in my bedroom till the smell cleared out.  But I finally hit the right combination of ingredients the day before yesterday and made a killer tasting, good looking, healthful protein muffin.   Do you think rewarding myself with 4 muffins and an Iced Mochachinno would be overkill?

Blueberry Banana Protein Muffins




  • 1 cup cake flour (I know...but if you don't...they are going to be hockey pucks)

  • 3/4 cup oat flour

  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla protein powder of choice

  • 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ

  • 4 tablespoons Inulin fiber boost (Fiber35 acai fiber will work also)

  • 1/2 cup raw evaporated coconut tree sap sugar (may sub succanat)

  • 2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder

  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

  • 6 ounces fat free Fage' plain Greek style yogurt

  • 4 large egg whites

  • 1/3 cup low fat (1%) buttermilk

  • 2 large ripe bananas

  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

  • 1 pint fresh blueberries

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease muffin wells with coconut oil.  Papers are not good for low fat muffins...half the muffin sticks to the paper. 

  2. Use a large bowl to combine all dry ingredients including raw coconut tree sap sugar (or succanat).  Mix well.

  3. Place all remaining ingredients except blueberries in the blender.  Blend until smooth and not pieces of banana remain.  Make a well in dry ingredients.  Pour wet ingredients over dry all at once.  Stir until no dry spots remain.  Fold in blueberries. 

  4. Using 1/4 cup measure or ice cream scoop, fill muffin tins 2/3 full.  This recipe makes 15 -16 muffins.  If desired, sprinkle tops with demerera sugar before baking.  Bake on center rack in preheated oven until muffins are golden brown and puffed up.  A pick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack.  Wrap and freeze if not using right away.
Each muffin has 150 calories, 2.5g fat, 5g dietary fiber, 8g protein, 105mg sodium, 0 cholesterol and 20g carbohydrates.

Net effective carbs will be lower due to high fiber content.

(nutritonal values may not be exact because I'm not a scientist but they are good enough for government work!)







BTW...those lovely, juicy orange segments are Florida grown...sweet and loaded with potassium, fiber, vitamin C and flavenoids!


(c) copyright Jill Anderson
The Homegrown Gourmet


9 comments:

  1. My trainer knows that I need to be eating these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! It always great to find ways to healthy-up favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been able to get fully on the health bandwagon - low fat this and healthy that just makes me depressed :P Best I can do is cut back fat and sugar in recipes but that's usually as far as I go. If anyone can make me eat healthy though, it would have to be you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful success! The muffins sound so delicious with blueberries and bananas and I love that they are so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Denise and Natasha! They are surprisingly tasty for "nasty health food" stuff. the raw coconut tree sugar is the dehydrated sap of coconut trees and is a TRUE low glycemic sweetener (a bit pricy but worth it if you are serious about eating healthier sweeteners). It has a lovely, earthy taste...I love this stuff. Only 30 calories per tablespoon as opposed to sugar which is 16 per teaspoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic job with these muffins. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great muffins, great execercise program, I should join you,ha ha, but after we work out we can enjoy these muffins..

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jilly! These sound so good and healthful! I made sorghum muffins the other day (gluten free). They were good out of the oven, but turned into dense little nuggets by the next day. Ugh, I'll have to experiment more I guess!
    Hey, I did the flax egg. It's awesome. Thanks for that, Jilly...

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks everyone. So sorry about not gettng to replies in a timely manner. I am out of town for a death in the family (my ex's father died thursday morning.) WE left ky yesterday and I am now at my brother's house in Indiana. My 30 year class reunion is this saturday. Hoping to be back in fl and back to posting/writing by next week.

    ReplyDelete

Wooohooo, yippeeee...I've got comments!

About Me

My photo
Fort Myers, Florida, United States